Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Little About a Christian Hero


A little note: I used Grammarly to grammar check this post, because even we grandmoms have been affected by this texting generation. :)

Most folks who know me know that Sunday School is close to my heart. I love teaching and always develop a special affection for the children who are in my class. Do your children like to go to Sunday school? If you’re in a church which, for whatever reason, has decided not to have one that’s certainly not a sin. Nowhere in Scriptures are we commanded to do so. But many Christians feel it does bring a wealth of benefits to the young and so do I.

Many people don’t know how, where, or when the first Sunday school came into existence. It’s quite a story, born in the heart of a man named Robert Raikes who was concerned about poor ragged children in his native England. At first, these children were taught to read and write as well as given spiritual training because it was the only school these particular children attended. When others heard of the success of this school held on Sundays, many more such schools cropped up all over England and the movement's eventual spread throughout the world is history. 

Read more about Mr. Raikes at The Church History for Kids site. Incorporate this article into the history studies of your school at home. Tell your sons and daughters about this man who believed the world marches forth on the feet of little children. I agree with him.

Maxine, a/k/a Nanna

2 comments:

Susan said...

I was not aware of this. I had thought that John Westley was the one who began and promoted Sunday School. Thanks for the article.

Maxine said...

I know, lots of us didn't know. But there have been many unsung heroes in the Christian church, but God knows what they did for Him.