Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Lost and Found Treasures

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

About twenty-three years ago, my husband and I attended a rather small church during what was for us a transitional time in our spiritual lives. Our oldest daughter was three years old then. While we were there, the pastor gave out a little booklet to all of the families who were either members or regularly attended. This was the first that we ever encountered this piece of writing, and let me tell you, it is one of the most precious treasures that we’ve ever had. Actually, it’s an article written by my favorite preacher/writer, J.C. Ryle, who wrote it more than one hundred years ago. Please let me recommend it to all of you mothers, or will be mothers. It’s entitled “The Duties of Parents” and of all the books on parenting that I’ve read, it’s the best. (Well, that’s my opinion anyway.)

A couple of years ago, I bought several extra copies to have on hand and give out. Well, I lost these treasures somewhere in my house. I’ve been searching high and low for them for a couple of weeks now, wanting to give a copy to our daughter who, as you know, has recently ventured into that high calling of motherhood. I have been so frustrated, searching the house like the woman looking for her lost coin in Luke 15. I am happy to report that the search is over. Rejoice with me—I have found my lost treasures! They were packed away in a container in a closet where they had no business being, but that’s another story.

You know how much I love my granddaughter and you know how much I want to see her soul claimed by Jesus, so you shouldn’t be surprised that it’s my intention that her parents will soon be in possession of this precious little masterpiece. Sure, it was written long ago, but its message is timeless. Listen to the conclusion of this booklet, and I’m sure it will whet the appetite of many of you moms and grandmoms. If so, I urge you to get a copy, so that Mr. Ryle’s counsel given long ago will reach your households in this needy century.

“Now the Lord teach you all that sin is that abominable thing which God hateth. Then, I know you will mourn over the sins of your children, and strive to pluck them out as brands from the fire.

“The Lord teach you all how precious Christ is, and what a mighty and complete work He hath done for our salvation. Then, I feel confident you will use every means to bring your children to Jesus, that they may live through Him.

“The Lord teach you all your need of the Holy Spirit, to renew, sanctify, and quicken your souls. Then, I feel sure you will urge your children to pray for Him without ceasing, and never rest till He has come down into their hearts with power, and made them new creatures.

“The Lord grant this, and then I have a good hope that you will indeed train up your children well,--train well for this life, and train well for the life to come; train well for earth and train well for heaven; train them for God, for Christ, and for eternity.”

--John Charles Ryle
(From “ The Duties of Parents”)

4 comments:

Beka said...

Looks like a real gem of a booklet! I am so glad you were able to found your "lost treasure"! I hope and pray that some day Mark and I will have occasion to read it.

Beverly said...

Yay Nanna! I am so glad you found your treasure ... and blessed that you are willing to share it with us. Thank you in advance.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

I came over from your precious daughters site, and I just want to say that, because of the fruit I see in your daughter, I trust what you say - and I will be looking into finding a copy of this little book.
Thank you!
And if you would like to win a children's book to read to your sweet granddaughter, come on by my place and enter my children's book giveaway! It will be fun!

chrisd said...

Nanna--please let me know what the name of the book is. It sounds wonderful!