Thursday, October 16, 2008

President Bush


For me, one of the most poignant moments of last night's debate came when Senator McCain said "Mr. Obama, I am not George Bush. . ." To speak honestly, it made me a little sad. You see, somewhere beneath the rubble of all the campaign rhetoric lies our current President. He often emerges when the opposing party wants to make a point on how bad things are for our country and he never is able to show his face in support of his party's candidate. Because of his unpopularity, his own party understandably seldom mentions him as they push to maintain the White House. However, the left brings him up at every possible opportunity, almost as a beacon of national disgrace.



I'm sorry for this. Actually, it grieves me. You see, I believe that like all of humanity, he has made his share of mistakes. I think he fumbled the ball on the fifty yard line with the Iraqi war and admittedly erred in some other areas of his ministry, but sadly, I don't think he'll be given the credit for all he has done for this nation until far down the pages of history. (I won't even get into the fact that he's taken the brunt of the blame for the financial disaster, when, of course, there are many others who are equally, if not more, at fault, including the Democratic Congress.) And sadly again, I think he's hated the most and viciously attacked the most by some of the people he's helped the most. A blog post I recently read has a list of 35 accomplishments of this man who has led this country, in safety at home and abroad, for almost eight years now. After reading it, you'll see that it's one of those unfortunate realities of life that those who may have benefited most from your efforts often are those who most maliciously oppose you:





You know, life is often like this. The truth does not always seem to prevail. But God will prevail in His time. I have a portion of a poem for you. For some reason, some of the words in it have been ringing in my ears throughout these days of searching for truth. May I say that we all should be searching for truth. James Russell Lowell was the author of this poem; many of you may know about it already. This brave man was an abolitionist who lived from 1819-1891. These words are from The Present Crisis, one of his writings against slavery. It's the portion Neesie had to learn in her ninth grade English last year, another reason I appreciate ABeka Video School. It is my contention that these words would also apply to the current crisis that is raging in the United States:

Once to every man and nation comes the moment to decide,
In the strife of Truth with Falsehood, for the good or evil side;
Some great cause, God’s new Messiah, offering each the bloom or blight,
Parts the goats upon the left hand, and the sheep upon the right,
And the choice goes by forever ’twixt that darkness and that light.

Hast thou chosen, O my people, on whose party thou shalt stand,
Ere the Doom from its worn sandals shakes the dust against our land?
Though the cause of Evil prosper, yet ’tis Truth alone is strong,
And, albeit she wander outcast now, I see around her throng
Troops of beautiful, tall angels, to enshield her from all wrong.

Careless seems the great Avenger; history’s pages but record
One death-grapple in the darkness ’twixt old systems and the Word;
Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,—
Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.

I hope this post isn't offensive to anyone. It shouldn't be. I felt constrained, literally, to speak on behalf of this public servant to whom I owe a great deal. And needless to say, I won't accept any comments that seek to malign him in a contemptible way. Finally, this is a call to all who want to do what is right, to pray for him during these difficult, and probably quite painful, days.



17 comments:

Cathy said...

We are just truly sisters in Christ, Maxine ( regarding your comment). Thank you for posting this. I saw the President today on TV, and he looked so bad. People don't seem to realize all the disasters and things that have gone on through his administration that are very costly. And you are right about the congress. I need to go back and read the link regarding the President.

Linda said...

I admire this post Maxine. I believe President Bush is an honorable man who has tried his best to do what he believes is right. I agree, he has made mistakes - but I don't think he deserves all the hateful things that have been said about him.
I think history will show that he was a much better president than people want to admit.
Thanks for this.

Mimi said...

Maxine,
thank you for your post honoring President Bush...I truly believe that he is a Christian man who is trying to follow God's will in all that he does...but with the congress that he has to work with...it is very difficult...
I pray for him every day and some day in the future history books..I believe that he will be known as one of the STRONGER presidents...
I am very saddened that he is treated so badly now...( but in spite of the ratings he continues to do what he believes to be right)
thanks again for your post,
Mimi

Tanya said...

Maxine: I'm completely with you. I don't agree with everything our President has done or said, but I firmly believe he's trying his best. These are difficult times and he has the most difficult job on earth. Thank you for this honoring post, reminding us to seek truth. Public opinion is a very fickle thing.

Susan Skitt said...

Wow Maxine, you said it so eloquently! Yes, in the end, it is truth that matters - God's truth.

I like the poem, but this particular line stood out to me: "Though the cause of Evil prosper, yet ’tis Truth alone is strong,"

How true and relavant for all the ages! It reminds me of what I'm reading in Acts right now.

Thank you my friend for standing up for truth and not being ashamed to speak it in love!

Theresa's Notes said...

Thank you for saying Hi to my Daughter over at her blog. She was really happy.

Big Hugs!!

Susan said...

A prophet is without honor in his own country. Look at what they called Jesus and many of the prophets of the old testament who were doing God's bidding.

Brenda said...

Hi Maxine, first off, thanks for stopping by my blog (via Susan's).
I so agree with you, his reward will be great for having to endure such an onslaught of garbage thru his term. He will always be a great president in my eyes. We finally had to just turn off the tv regarding the politics. Wasn't worth the frustration. I'll be glad when it's over and and may truth prevail.
God bless,
Brenda :)
p.s. look forward to coming back for a more leisurely stroll thru your blog!

Baptist Girl said...

Hi Maxine,
I feel for Mr. Bush because he served as President in a very tough time. 911 happened soon after he took office and USA was threatened so I feel he did what he felt was right to protect his country that I know he loves. Sure he made mistakes, just like any other president. I t would really bothered me how would see him made fun of so much, I felt for this man.
I don’t think people will look at him in a good light until they look back after the next 8 years and say maybe Mr. Bush didn't do such a bad job....or they will blame him for the next 8 years. All I know is that He is a good man that loves His Country.

If people only realized all the good things he has done...and he has done a lot, he just wasn’t one to promote it and the liberal Media sure is going to promote it are they?

Cristina

Baptist Girl said...

I did not realize your New
grand daughter has arrived. Congratulations Maxine, you are truly blessed!

She is as beautiful as her bog sister.

Love Cristina

Sara said...

I think it is sad how President Bush is always portrayed in such a negative light. Yes, he has made mistakes, but haven't all the presidents of our country made decisions they came to regret? I really appreciated this post Mrs. R.

~Sara

... said...

it amazes me that anyone would want to be president. there's not too many who leave the office with the admiration or thanks from the country they served.

i wonder how much he's looking forward to living a normal life again.

SmilingSally said...

We should respect the Office of the President of the United States much more than we do.

Beverly said...

I totally agree! Sometimes I feel badly for President Bush because so much is blamed on him. Everyone seems to overlook the part that others have played in the situation our country is in.

And yes, he has made mistakes, and he isn't perfect as no President WILL be!

I'm glad you wrote this. God wants us to reflect on things that are true (Philippians 4:8). I agree that our President's worth may be more evident after he leaves office.

Susan said...

Hi Maxine,

Oh how touching this post was! You are so right. I echo your sentiments completely!!

Now, you sure have one BEAUTIFUL grand-baby!! Congrats to you. Don't you just love these babies?

I always enjoy coming by your blog.

Blessings to you my sweet friend~

TO BECOME said...

I love the post, Maxine. It was written beautifully and I agree with each word. I still love President Bush and I will miss him when he leaves office. I appreciate all that he did for this country while he was in office. I am sure that no one regrets his mistakes any more than president Bush.

I love the poem and the thoughts and truths that it contained.


Maxine, I left you an award to pick up from my blog if you would like. I could not remember if you accepted them or not but regardless, I wanted you to know that I thought you deserved it. Thanks again, Maxine, connie from Texas

The

Betty said...

Maxine,
I think President Bush is a moral, God fearing family man who wants the best for our country...I thank him for what he has done...surely he made mistakes but he also has kept terrorism at bay...I fear that in the future that may not be the case...

God bless...Betty @ Country Charm