Friday, April 30, 2010

I eat okra!


This is sort of like breaking news: I'm starting to actually like okra. Well, at least a little. Or perhaps it would be better if I said I don't dislike it as much as I used to. Maybe it would be even more accurate to say that the way I'm cooking it now, I will even come back and get a bit more after eating my token spoonful and I don't feel like gagging. (BTW,I HATE fried okra!)
I started out cooking it just for my husband, who loves it, and I would force myself to eat it, but now I can truthfully say that I am not forcing it down. If you're wondering why I would bother to eat it when I haven't liked it, it's because it's one of the most nutritional food items you can find. Just look it up and you'll see. So what about you? Are you one of those who are in the minority like my husband and love okra, or are you a part of the vast majority who hate it? Do you cook it? If so, how?
Here's my recipe and it's the only way I do it now. It helps to have some of these other veggies with it, so that it gets lost in the shuffle a bit. But hubby likes it this way too.

Skillet Okra

1 Tablespoon olive oil
16 oz. bag frozen cut okra
1 onion, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced and pieced
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen or canned corn
About 1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
Mrs. Dash's table blend - sprinkle on
Basil - sprinkle on

Heat up the oil in a large skillet and then add the other ingredients. Sprinkle with the basil and Mrs. Dash (or some other spice you like), cover and heat until okra is tender. I think it takes about 15 minutes. It's not too bad this way!

Actually, I probably should fix him some later today. He's having a hard time these days. He found out he has a herniated disk and is going to a doctor for therapy at the present. We're praying that helps. Maybe some okra would help him feel better?

Oh, and my toe is better. Good thing, I have a lot more duties these days with his condition being what it is.

Hope all is well at your place!

12 comments:

Karen said...

I want to go on record saying I LOVE OKRA. I miss my Mom and Grandma's Okra. Grandpa grew it in his garden every summer. Your recipe sounds good!

LisaShaw said...

Grew up on Ocra and LOVE IT. Sadly my hubby and kids NEVER took to it but I enjoy it.

Mmmm good!

Blessings!

Linda said...

My husband likes okra too Maxine. Me - not so much.
I'll be praying for your husband. I know that is very painful. Praying the therapy will help him.

Beverly said...

Ummm. Yeah. I don't think I will ever like okra, but I am glad you are developing a taste for it! I'm sure Dad is glad too. :-)

Susan said...

No Okra for me!!! Don't care for it. Fried Okra is a very "Southern" meal and very popular here in Oklahoma but I've never acquired a taste for it.

Debra said...

I'm one of those that love it anyway you want to fix it! That sounds like a good recipe you have there!

Amelia said...

I like okra too...Our entire family likes it. : )

The easiest way for me to fix it is an okra gumbo with tomato sauce...Sounds like the way you cook it. I just follow the recipe on the back of the frozen okra recipe bag and serve it with brown rice.

Hope all is well, happy Sunday! Thanks for sharing your recipe too, I need to try that! : )

Laurie said...

I must confess, I have never had okra! Living in the midwest, I guess we didn't have it...and I have now lived in MT for 30 years and still haven't tried it! So, since it is good for you, I should probably give it a try, and your recipe sounds delicious, Maxine.

I hope you are feeling better, dear friend!
Blessings and hugs,
Laurie

Laurie said...

Oops! Somehow, I missed the last part of your post and I am glad you are feeling better and I will be praying for your hubby to get relief.
Laurie

TO BECOME said...

I love okra any way it can be fixed but I have never tried it your way. I must do this. My husband also like it.

Glad your toe is better. Praying for your husband. Have a great day, love you, connie

Cathy said...

I love okra too. I used to love it fried, but not like that old breaded fried you get when you eat out. That recipe sounds great. I can even eat fresh okra boiled with some butter. I loved your little joke in the last post. Oh, I am so sorry about your husband. Praying for him ~ And I'm glad your toe is better.

Susan said...

My mother LOVED it and cooked it often.

For me...another story!!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Stopping by to wish you a Happy Mother's Day!!