Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Tribute to Abe Lincoln

Today is the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States. In my estimation and that of many others, he was a great American. I didn't say he was a perfect person, nor did I say that everything he did was right. But he was an upright and honorable man who loved his country and did all that he could to preserve her and keep her unified. I don't know for sure what his personal opinion of slavery was; all I know is he did the right thing while holding the office of the Presidency. He held that office in high esteem, held God in high esteem, and held the people whom he served (we the people) in high esteem. It is my prayer that the day will come that God in His mercy will send us more men like Abraham Lincoln.

Did you know that this tall, stately man had a terrific sense of humor? Once I was looking for joke books for children for my business newsletter, and ran into a delightful one entitled The Abraham Lincoln Joke Book by W.L. Cummings, which contained a bunch of interesting stories about him and by him. He was really funny!! You might want to get this book for your children; it's in the juvenile section of our library.

I'd like to post here a few of the quotes by this great man (from several sources); I could include so many more if it wouldn't make this too long. There are some of you who will especially notice several of the ones I've included; you'll know which I mean. Heavy duty.

"Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors."

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." [Remember this one, moms.]

"If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. You may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

"In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong."

" Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

" I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right."

"Republicans are for both the man and the dollar, but in case of conflict the man before the dollar."

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."

This one is a favorite of mine, especially in the time we find ourselves now. I've posted it before and hope you don't mind if I post it again:

"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."

Mr. Lincoln was always a favorite American for me. I consider it a blessing that our children can learn about him in their history books. Soon I want to make a post about another person whom I view as a national hero.

7 comments:

Susan said...

What great Lincoln quotes. Enjoyed them all.
Susan

GraceFromHim said...

I am going to have to look for this book! Thanks for this GREAT post! Have a Blessed day
Hugs,
Brandie

Denise said...

Those are just great....... Thanks for posting this today.. I had no idea what today was...... He was truly a great American, and like you said, not perfect, but he loved his country........since when are we reaching for perfection instead of pride ....... They are worlds apart.....

Hugs

Lori said...

Hi Maxine - This has nothing to do with Lincoln, but thanks for the great post. Thanks for stopping over to see me and checking in. I have been very busy and so the internet is the first to go. This season we are in has been a challenging one, but God is ever faithful through it all. We have not received a paycheck since last October. Business has been extremely slow and pay coming in even slower. God has done some amazing things for us and through us during this time. We have been living off of generous anonymous gifts and selling of items. We recently sold our fourwheeler and were able to meet most of Feb. bills. Praise God! Thanks again for your prayers - they are greatly appreciated!

Maxine said...

So good to hear from you, Lori. I miss you--one of my first bloggy friends!! I'll be praying for you guys. These are hard times, but the Lord is able to bring us out. He has before and He can again, Sister!!

Sara said...

These are wonderful quotes by him Abe Lincoln was always one of my favorite presidents to study in history. He was so hard-working too-a wonderful example to look up to.

LisaShaw said...

Thanks for posting this. You asked where he stood on slavery. He didn't like it. He fought to see slavery overturned. He was an integral part of that.

Yes, we need MORE men like that today who uphold GOD overtly and will do what is right in the face of what's wrong. Perfection? No but we know that only Christ is perfection but Abe tried to do things with conviction.

Bless you my sister in Christ.