Friday, October 06, 2006

A Week of Firsts

Over the meadow and through the woods,
To Grandmother’s house we go!

A special visitor came to our house today, and she was all dressed in pink and white. That’s right, Selena made her first trip to PopPop and Nanna’s house, and I sure do hope that it’s the first such trip of many. While she was here, I walked her all around, with her back to my chest and her eyes wide open, showing her each one of the rooms in the house that her mommy grew up in. I think she liked it. She even got her diaper changed on the bed her mommy once slept in. She also got to lie on, and throw up on, the same homemade baby's mat that her Auntie Nee once laid on (and threw up on). I hope there will be many more times for each of these things.

This whole week was a week of “firsts” for my little granddaughter. She went to church for the first time; completed her first month of life; and exhibited her first real smile—appropriately, to her mommy. God willing, there will be many more times when she will do this or that for the first time. So, I’m thinking again about a certain “first”: the first catechism question that I spoke about back in June in my Yahoo blog, when she was yet in the womb. I’m looking forward to the day when she hears that question and responds with the correct answer. The question is, Who Made You? and the answer is God. It's a very simple answer, I know, but this little short word opens the door to everything else she'll need to know.


There will be a first tooth, first step, and much more, but the first time she answers that question all by herself will be really something! And it will be even better when the day comes that she understands it and believes it!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Lena was a VERY special visitor. It's so excitng when you have one of those 'firsts" week! I hope that we will get to see many more "firsts" in the coming years...her first word...her first step...her first profession of faith. These are truly things to look forward to!

Anonymous said...

that's so sweet. she is one loved little girl!

Beverly said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .... my little girl is growing up so fast! Don't worry, Mr.S and I have a list of potential babysitting days for Nanna (wink).

Sara said...

I'm glad you were able to visit with her!