Friday, July 13, 2007

Prisoner Alert

Hi Friends,

I am so busy today with the things of my life and then I got an email. I didn't have time for this--I had to do this; I had to that; I had to do the other thing. I wanted to click the upper right "x" button to close it down after reading it, but couldn't. So I clicked on the link and did what was asked and now I'm glad. Maybe some of you might take the time from your busyness to do it too. You don't need to get back to me about it, either you do or you don't--of course, this is between you and God.

VOM has a tool on its Prisoner alert site that makes it easy to compose a letter, in another language, to one of our brethren who is being held because of his faith in Christ. Here is a portion of the email I received from one of the people over at Persecution.com, concerning a Son Jong Nam, former North Korean Army officer turned underground evangelist. He is apparently in a North Korean death row basement jail, awaiting public execution. Clicking on the link will take you to the VOM site where a letter can be composed. Actually, it is quite easy to do--just follow the instructions and print out your letter. Here is a portion of the email:

VOM was been joined in the initiative by Brownback, a noted supporter of human rights for North Korean refugees. Brownback sent letters last week, also signed by Senators Baucus (D-Mont.), Durbin (D-Ill.), Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Vitter (R-La.) asking U.S. Secretary of State Dr. Condoleezza Rice and U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to work to secure the release of the Christian prisoner.
VOM is directing people go to its web site,
www.prisoneralert.com, where they can compose a personal letter of support and encouragement to Son. The letter is to be mailed to the North Korean delegation to the United Nations, along with a cover letter asking the North Korean government to spare Son's life, release him from prison immediately, report on his current status and deliver the personal letter to Son. "We are asking for prayers for Mr. Son, but also that people around the world take action on his behalf,"
said Todd Nettleton, director of media development for VOM. "Jesus said ministering to a prisoner was like ministering to Himself.
Every letter and email can make a difference."
To learn more about this situation please click here to visit the website set up specifically for this.


Thanks for listening. I just wanted to make you aware of this. At the very least, each of us can pray for this man by name.