Monday, March 10, 2008

A Candle Lit Weekend

We have just emerged from a weekend without electrical power after the rain and wind storm. Well, actually it started Saturday evening until this afternoon. If it hadn't been so cold, I might have enjoyed having candles all over the house on Saturday and Sunday. My husband and daughter don't like scented candles too much because the aroma usually bothers them . But this time they preferred that over the darkness. So in the nighttime there was a peaceful flickering glow all over our little abode and lots of sweet smells . Thankfully, the crews came around lunch time today, and before long, we had the real thing again. I was most thankful that they took away the power lines that were hanging down into our backyard. Because of them, we couldn't let our doggy go out by himself as usual (the yard is fenced in), so he had to be walked to go to the bathroom and he doesn't do so well going while on the leash! Happily, we're all back to normal, including him.

I haven't posted a hymn in two weeks and needed to remind myself of something: the words of the first two stanzas of this one that I've posted somewhere before .

My times are in thy hand;
My God, I wish them there;
My life, my friends, my soul, I leave
Entirely to thy care.

My times are in thy hand,
Whatever they may be;
Pleasing or painful, dark or bright,
As best may seem to thee.
`William F. Lloyd

6 comments:

Susan said...

Nice post about the candle light. We are so totally dependent on our power it is a good reminder every once in awhile.
Susan

Beverly said...

What a good hymn for what you just went through! I am so glad your power is back on.

sparrow's song said...

Your posted hymn:
Releasing individuals to the care of God is not always easy but it is necessary. Surrender is instead a place and not so much a condition.

You've been missed and I've checked back and forth on you. I'm so glad you finally have power back. Besides the inconvenience and possible dangers of having no power, there are some redeeming moments during such a time. Interesting how my family finds 'other things' to do that don't require electrical power like books, drawing, and(for me) hand sewing. Those are soooo last century, I know. Hahaha!

I love scented candles. My favorite: Sandlewood! And yours?

Maxine said...

My favorite is definitely vanilla, Sparrow. I have a Hazlenut one going now. That's a close second I'd say. My family is apparently letting me burn candles again--a side benefit of the storm. Thanks for missing me, friend. I'm trying to get by to see folks later today.

Beka said...

I'm glad your power finally came back on! These things have a way of slowing us down and helping us appreciate things more, don't they? I'm glad that you were able to enjoy burning scented candles!!

And that hymn is so perfect, too!

~~Deby said...

Maxine, Thank you for the words ,they are timely for me right now.
Deby