Saturday, November 01, 2008

My Endorsement


Well, soon it will be all over. Soon we will know for sure. I'm glad. I have to say I'm tired of it all. This has been really something; I've never seen anything like it. Well, we all know God is in control and no one can be President or king or anything else without His allowing it to be. But I did just read an interesting post at a blog today. And what it was saying is that even though God is in control, we, the people, do make the choice. And the fact is that God will give our country exactly what we choose or should I say, exactly what we want. And that's whether it's a good choice or a bad one. So, we the people of the United States of America are going to make one of the most important decisions in our country's history. And God is going to give us the President we ask for. Remember Israel? They wanted a king so they could be like all the other nations around them, and God gave them the king they wanted. Read all about it in I Samuel 8.

Choices can be difficult to make. I knew I needed to make one and frankly, this summer I wasn't sure what I was going to do about this election. I sincerely considered a third party candidate. But I have made a decision early this fall and I'm comfortable with it now. At first I wasn't going to come right out with an endorsement of a particular candidate. Like my endorsement means anything, right? :-) But it means something for me. It's something I'll need to live with all my life. And like any decision we make, we could be wrong. We're fallible creatures for sure. But I've decided to support my candidate for the sake of conscience and what for me is the most intelligent decision I can make. I hope I'm not thinking selfishly, but as a citizen and for the whole, rather than just myself and family. Others are seeking to do the same, I know, and some are making a different decision. We can't all be right. Some body's wrong on one side. Or maybe all sides are wrong. But one thing is for sure, all sides aren't right. (I think Abe Lincoln said something like that once.)

Enough of all that. Obviously, I changed my mind and have decided to announce, at the eleventh hour, which candidate I support. I just wanted to make it known that I am endorsing John McCain for President. Not much of a surprise you're thinking. Not necessarily. It took me a bit of a time to get to this. Like I said, I thought about a third party candidate for a while. But then, in the long run, I felt it was best and more sensible not to do that.


So, my rationale for my endorsement of the Senator from Arizona:

1. I trust him. I think he has proven himself. (Now I did not say he's not made any mistakes!) Also, on this point, I can say I've come to like the man. I didn't at first. Another thing I like is that he's old. Don't laugh--I always like to have older people in important jobs. Always did, even when I was young. Old folks often have a lot of wisdom packed up in that brain of theirs. And those jokes and insinuations about his age which I've heard and read bounce right off me.

2. He's a Republican. Now it doesn't sound too smart to say that, but let me explain: I really believe it would be best if we didn't have very liberal Democrats in both the Congress and the White House. The D's and R's tend to balance each other out, which really is much better for all, in my opinion.

3. He seems to be pretty solid on the moral issues. He has stated clearly that he's pro-life and believes life begins at conception and he doesn't seem to be shaky on his view of traditional marriage. He also is a proponent of parental rights in education. These issues are big for me because I believe the next President will be making some pretty important judicial appointments. This could make a big difference regarding which way our country goes in these respects.

4. Even though, in my opinion, he didn't get some of his points across too eloquently in the debates, I believe he has a good handle on foreign policy. I agree with him on winning the war. I'm very hesitant to let anyone else try to handle that touchy situation.

5. I DEFINITELY am with him on the economy. We have a huge mess on our hands, which I believe to be the fault of both parties, the Congress, the administration, and the corporate world, but that's another story. Whoever becomes President is going to inherit this mess and I feel much safer if the next administration adopts policies as outlined by Mr. McCain. I wanted to talk quite a bit about how I feel about these things, but time won't allow. Let's just say that I am a capitalist and prefer limited government. I would like to see private organizations and individuals, and especially churches, do more for the needy among us, as I am quite fearful about too much big government in our lives. In many countries that has led to tyranny. I also believe McCain's plan of lessening the tax burdens on the larger corporations will in the long run filter down to the main street people by way of jobs and lower prices. I have this sense about him that he's not all gloom and doom about the state of things, but really does believe in the resiliency and capabilities of our people. I tend to agree. I'm kind of dumb about the economy, but that's the way I see it after the whole tax thing was explained by various people with good financial minds.

6. I am thankful that he has a conservative and bright running mate. Now I need to admit: This was a tough one for me. I have been back and forth about how I feel about a woman President if it should happen. (I'm being honest!) I just haven't been totally sure what I think of it and at first didn't even know if it was biblical. I've settled that part of it and have come to be more comfortable with her. For some reason, I've not been worried about the whole experience part of it. From what I've seen of Gov. Palin, she could do it. And I have to say, I think she'd do it well. It's kind of funny. I know he's older, but sometimes folks talk as if McCain's going to drop dead a day after taking office. I think if he were to get into office, the Lord would allow him a year or two of life. Hey, maybe even four years! How ever long he lasted, let me tell you, Sarah would be ready if he didn't make it. Even with my slight hesitation about her gender, I still prefer her over the other VP candidate. So in that sense I'm counting her as a plus on his side.

So there you have it. I know. It seems my preferred candidate is considered to be not likely to make it. But I'll not let the polls or all the yard signs of his opponent all around me stop me from going out and voting on Tuesday. And any one of you who reads and hears it's a lost cause better not let ANYTHING you hear or read stop you from casting your vote! You NEVER know.

But whomever the choice of the people turns out to be, we will have what we've asked for. And we'll pray for him and for our country, yes? And we'll remember that after all is said and done, it's still Jesus who is our Leader and Guide through this dark and often troublesome world.

All the way my Savior leads me; what have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy, who through life has been my Guide?
Heavenly peace, divinest comfort, here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know whate'er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well.

~Fanny J. Crosby