Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jesus, Lover of My Soul

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution or famine or nakedness or peril, or sword? (Romans 8:35); Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. (John 6:37); And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge...(Eph. 3:19) Unto him who loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood. (Rev. 1:5)


Jesus, Lover of my soul,
Let me to thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high:
Hide me, O my Saviour, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last!

Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me!
All my trust on thee is stayed,
All my help from thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
More than all in thee I find:
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is thy Name;
I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am,
Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with thee is found,
Grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound;
Make and keep me pure within:
Thou of life the Fountain art,
Freely let me take of thee;
Spring thou up within my heart,
Rise to all eternity.

~ Charles Wesley, 1740

Amen, Mr. Wesley. Amen and Amen.

5 comments:

Susan said...

They preached the Word when they wrote a lot of these old songs!!!
Yes, Jesus, lover of my soul and He did so while I was yet a sinner.
Susan

Linda said...

How I love those old hymns Maxine. Thank you for this. I was just thinking along those lines. What a priceless treasure the Lord has given us.

Cathy said...

Very beautiful words ~

sparrow's song said...

"Grace to cover all my sin;"

A grace to cover all our sins both past, present, and future. A power to keep us until the appearing of Jesus.

Unfortunately, many may say that such a Grace is a license to sin. And I would say that the heart that loves God has no intention of purposely sinning just because we are free to so. Grace makes us free to obey His Will which He plants in our hearts to work out His pleasure and purpose.

Thank you for inspiration, Maxine!!

Denise said...

Hello girl...... I so loved the post after this one but there was not a comment section... I went over and read on the American Thinker.

I pray for my country........ I sing old hymns as they bring such comfort...... It is amazing how HE can embody the words of a song and bring peace to our hearts......