Friday, January 25, 2008

God of Our Fathers


During my morning prayer time, I have certain days that I pray for certain things. Friday is the day on which I pray particularly for our country, the leaders and the military. Today, for some reason, a sadness overflowed me. It's hard to explain why it was such an overwhelming feeling of sadness, but it was. It's not that I'm such a super patriotic person, but I do love my country very much, even with all its faults. It just seems that we've come a long way, and not necessarily has that been a good thing. Technologically, of course, but in other ways it's a different story. All of the election 2008 news these past few weeks don't bring hope and encouragement from my vantage point. Of course, I'm not going to name any names, but I just don't know what our future holds. But then, Who is it that really holds the future? So we can keep praying, right? Let's all do that. Even though there is a lot that we could look at and feel dismayed, there's always hope in God if His people, who are called by His name, humble themselves.

I often look back to our republic's beginning and feel hope. Much of what was accomplished back then regarding the framework is still with us, really. And the same God who led our forefathers is still with us if we seek Him. He can do anything. So I say to myself : "Hope Thou in God." Now I feel better.

View this week's hymn as a prayer and please join me in praying for our nation, especially now
.

God of our fathers, whose almighty hand
Leads forth in beauty all the starry band
Of shining worlds in splendor through the skies,
Our grateful songs before thy throne arise.

Thy love divine hath led us in the past;
In this free land by thee our lot is cast;
Be thou our Ruler, Guardian, Guide, and Stay;
Thy Word our law, thy paths our chosen way.

From war's alarms, from deadly pestilence,
Be thy strong arm our ever sure defence;
Thy true religion in our hearts increase,
Thy bounteous goodness nourish us in peace.

Refresh thy people on their toilsome way,
Lead us from night to never-ending day;
Fill all our lives with love and grace divine,
And glory, laud, and praise be ever thine.
~ Daniel C. Roberts, 1876

Listen here. The tune is encouraging and triumphant, giving us impetus to move forward. May His "true religion" increase in our hearts. That means the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. All praise to Him!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

We're all going to be turning off the tv pretty quick. All the rhetoric, all the meanness and spitefulness. ugh

I HATE election years. I understand the need to have them. I do, but I hate them nonetheless.

Cathy said...

That's a great post, Maxine, and the hymn goes very well with it. Thanks for those thoughts.

Barbara said...

I've found it's better to concentrate on the promises of God rather than to put any hope in man. No matter who received the nomination or is made President, GOD still holds the reins to this country. TRUST placed in Him has it's rewards - trust placed in man can change your life but will not give you eternal hope!

Beka said...

I love that hymn, especially the line in the last verse:

lead us from night to never-ending day...

Hope you're having a lovely day! We had a great afternoon with you all yesterday.

TO BECOME said...

Dear Maxine, we can have peace in knowing that God will not let anyting happen that He does not allow to happen. It is His way. Our prayers can change things though. Lets keep praying. connie from Texas

Lori said...

It is comforting to know that God won't allow anything to happen that HE can't handle!! I am already tired of all of the campaign stuff and you can't help but be concerned for what's to come! Especially if the leaders are fighting and being petty!!

Beverly said...

Yes, I so agree with barbara - that we have to just cling to the promises of God. This hymn is a wonderful way to do so!

~~Deby said...

You know...I have been VERY dismayed at the upcoming election...VERY...
I have to tell myself...GOD already knows the outcome...there are no surprises with HIM and that it is all part of the plan...and to stay focused,the hard part...
Deby

Theresa's Notes said...

I just hate election year, I think its all nonsense. The things they say about each other, to try and make themselves look better than the other. Really, who needs it? Just tell us what you stand for and leave it at that.

And although we have no vision into the future, we can still stand on God's promises. "For I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand."

kris said...

Thanks, Maxine, for visiting my blog, and for your prayers! God is good. Kris

sparrow's song said...

I would have to agree at feeling discouraged at times as well concerning our country's past, present condition, and future fate. Bless God He will keep us, and cover us, even as we are in the world but not of it.

Yes, we can keep praying. Even if things don't go as we might have wanted it, we can trust that He is in control so that all things work out perfectly toward His plans and purposes. We've read the book. He wins. We win because He wins. It was won at Calvary.