Saturday, January 12, 2008

O Jesus, I Have Promised


O Jesus, I have promised
To serve thee to the end;
Be thou for ever near me,
My Master and my Friend:
I shall not fear the battle
If thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
If thou wilt be my guide.

O let me feel thee near me,
The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
The tempting sounds I hear:
My foes are ever near me,
Around me and within;
But, Jesus, draw thou nearer,
And shield my soul from sin.

O Jesus, thou hast promised
To all who follow thee
That where thou art in glory
There shall my servant be;
And, Jesus, I have promised
To serve thee to the end;
O give me grace to follow,
My Master and my Friend.

~John E. Bode

How blessed Mr. Bode's children were to have their father write a hymn for them at the time of their confirmation. We sing this at church sometimes and it's one of the ones I've learned in recent years. Good one for the beginning of a new year wouldn't you say? These are words about following our Savior and serving Him, and also about not wandering from the pathway. The word "paths" has really been on my heart today as you might see from my post at my Scraps blog. My promise is to do my best to live a life of service in the way that leads to glory. And that's only by following Him. Do you know Him as Savior? Are you following Him on the path to glory?

The tune can be played here if you want to listen.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful hymn and it IS great for the New Year. You KNOW I have also been considering it myself. :) We really do have kindred minds when it comes to hymns!

Maxine said...

I know we both love the same hymns, Cathy. That's why I enjoy going to your blog.
Your bag will go out early next week, weather permitting. :-)

Beverly said...

This is one of my favorite hymns - I know that I say that a lot! Its a hymn I would do well to remember more often ...

"O give me grace to follow,
My Master and my Friend."

Beka said...

One of my favorites too...
I'm so thankful for hymns, aren't you?

Theresa's Notes said...

That was beautiful! Thanks for posting that.

sparrow's song said...

you shared,
These are words about following our Savior and serving Him, and also about not wandering from the pathway. The word "paths" has really been on my heart today...

God always blesses me when He confirms His leading for me through godly persons, such as yourself. I've written similarly on paths also...the narrow way verses the broad way. I had hoped to post something else but He had other ideas and kept pointing there. The voice of truth says to me, 'Do not be afraid" in doing so.

From the hymn.
"O Jesus, thou hast promised
To all who follow thee
That where thou art in glory
There shall my servant be;


To follow after Him and not our own imaginations of religion, trusting that He is the keeper of His promises. That He will come again and bring us home to His glory.

Beautiful and encouraging!