Tuesday, March 06, 2007

About the Wind...

Whatever the Lord pleases He does, In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deep places. He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; He makes lightening for the rain; He brings the wind out of His treasuries. Psalm 135:6-7

Last night while I was in bed the wind was howling like an angry madman. I didn’t dare look outside at our tall, old oaks, which don’t need much to cause them to bend and sway like someone in a drunken stupor about to pass out. I tend to worry that they’re going to pass out on me and my house! Last night, the fierceness of the sound was worse than ever, so I buried my head under the covers, worrying my usual worries. The Lord gave sleep, thankfully, through most of it. But I should have remembered that it was He who had sent the wind.

When I got up this morning the first thing I saw was that the hanging feeder, which is the gourmet center of our restaurant, had fallen to the ground and pieces had broken off. I thought it was done for and, of course, my “customers” were noisily flying from branch to branch in protest. My first thought was to get over to WalMart for a new feeder (that’s how devoted I am), but my dear husband suddenly appeared, somehow salvaged what was left, and put the feeder back up. I tell you, he’s a Wonder Man! It wasn’t the best start to a new day, I was thinking, but then I needed to remember that the Lord had sent the wind.

So, listening to the news, we hear about all of the destruction in Alabama caused by tornadoes. I hear about the President’s visit there, about the unbelievable damage to property, about families whose lives have been torn apart, and about the loss of lives, even young lives. Well, again, I need to remember that it was the Lord who had sent those winds. I don’t and can’t understand why, but He sent them. And as I’ve said before, we have to keep on trusting, even those things we don’t understand.

Every day, I have been hearing more reports from various fronts about this one and that one who are being buffeted by a tempest. A tempest of sickness, or of death, or of some other heartache. Even though today my worst catastrophe so far has been a fallen bird feeder, I don’t want to forget about the many storm battered folks I’ve been hearing about lately. We all need to remember that there are going to be times when we’re going to be whacked by the gale forces. I hope when they come, that we’ll remember that the Lord sends the wind. And that He’s in it. In it with us. Even if we don't understand it.

I know this is similar to my post a week ago, but it still seemed to be what I needed to say today. Hopefully, I can be a bit more cheerful next time. Today’s poem from Streams in the Desert may not apply exactly, but I couldn’t resist it. Especially since you know that I’ll take any chance I get to post something about my little feathered friends. And as we found out last night, winter is still with us:

The soft, sweet summer was warm and glowing,

Bright were the blossoms on every bough:
I trusted Him when the roses were blooming;
I trust Him now...

Small were my faith should it weakly falter
Now that the roses have ceased to blow;
Frail were the trust that now should alter,
Doubting His love when storm clouds grow.

--The Song of a Bird in a Winter Storm

3 comments:

Beka said...

I am reminded of Mark 4:41-- "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?"

I'm glad your hubby was able to salvage your gourmet restaurant!

Beverly said...

Yes, it was extremely windy, Nanna. I enjoyed hearing it whistle around me as I snuggled even further into my comforter. I am glad Daddy salvaged your feeder. The Lord is powerful, isn't He? And even more amazingly, He shows such incredible mercy!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

I love the thought of the trees *passing out*! Just not on you, of course! :)
Yes, He sends the wind, He controls it, He holds it back and lets it go. It obeys Him. I wish I could hear His whisper above it more often, yes?