Wednesday, October 03, 2007

It's Not Fair!

This is an addendum to my last post. I and quite a few other people are very agitated with Major League Baseball (MLB) right now. Did you know that the playoffs are not being telecast on regular TV but only on paid TV, such as cable or satellite or by whatever other name it may be called? Once again, MLB has shown itself to be more concerned about making big bucks than it is about fans or about the sport itself, which once could accurately be called America's favorite pastime. It can't be called that anymore. Through the years, more and more people have gotten tired of what has become of professional sports with the high priced superstars and massive stadiums, and baseball is taking the biggest slide in that area. Well, this TV thing is not going to help.

Since we are folks that do not have paid TV, we'll be listening on the radio. But then I thought about it: Do you know what? This is a hidden blessing. This will take me back to the happy days of my youth. I grew up in a household where sports were a big deal. My mom and I, don't ask me why, were the only Yankees fans in a household and in a neighborhood of Dodgers enthusiasts and it was a lot of fun! But those memories include a roomful of people crowded around the RADIO to listen to every pitch with intense excitement. If you ventured out to go to the corner store, gas station, neighbor's house, etc. the same sound of the radio tuned into the World Series could be heard. So listening to the game today and in the days to come will be reminiscent of my childhood. AND it will also be better because I can continue on with my dinner preparations and other household chores without being tempted to park myself in front of that TV monster. And I don't have to look at any commercials!!!! If I had time, I could even do some needlework without having to look up!

So, as is true of all of life, oftentimes the thing we think of as being unfair, is just another of God's blessings. In my Bright Gems book I have a chapter called "Not Complaining" and one of the devotionals in that chapter has the same title as this post. I need to preach the same message to myself as I do to the children: We should always trust the Lord to do what is best for us, even though sometimes it will not seem to be fair. And I must say that includes whatever happens in our lives, including matters as unimportant as baseball.

8 comments:

Beka said...

SO true! Hidden blessings in things that at first seem to be disappointments...

Beverly said...

Yes, I agree. It is kind of fun to listen to the game on the radio. I'll be doing half and half as I can only spare time to watch while folding laundry.

sparrow's song said...

you shared,
"I can continue on with my dinner preparations and other household chores without being tempted to park myself in front of that TV monster. And I don't have to look at any commercials!!!! If I had time, I could even do some needlework without having to look up!"

Absolutely agreed! I enjoy some shows but mostly it's a waste of time. Bless God I finally got smart and started doing cross stitch while sitting with my husband. I just wished I wised up sooner.

"We should always trust the Lord to do what is best for us, even though sometimes it will not seem to be fair."

True. The Spirit was just speaking to me concerning the seemingly bad things or unpleasant things that happen in my life. Those things are allowed for a reason. Do I thank God for only good things because they please me. The older I get the more I understand that real changes come through sufferings.

Enjoy the game!

Maxine said...

Sparrow, I once loved cross stitching but my eyes don't see as they used to. I would surely be doing it now.

But I'm not enjoying the game too much right now as I listen to it because the Phils are losing, so I decided I'd check out some blogs for a while. There once was a time I was so hung up on it that I couldn't think about anything else but the game, so I'm thankful for the grace I've received from the Lord in that area.

Vicki said...

Hey friend. Yep, the radio brings back the gool ol' days. I'm not too wild about professional sports myself, but I used to get excited about our Atlanta Braves and put on my tomahawk earrings whenever they played...hehe...

It's kinda nice to play the radio and stay busy with my hands.

Theresa's Notes said...

Hidden blessings every where.

Mommysmart said...

I love your great attitude, you have inspired me to make the best of today.

Maxine said...

And I must say it was indeed a blessing, even though the Phils lost. I kept busy all day, with various radios on all over the house. Stayed on my feet and got a lot done. I like it!

And I realized something new today! You can listen to the radio on the computer--something I knew but it didn't register. So I'll be able to get the Yankees' station with a much clearer reception than I get it on the radio.

This is fun!