Monday, October 01, 2007

Welcome, October!



Yay, it here! My favorite month of my favorite season. Crisp cool weather, rich warm colors on the trees and elsewhere, mosquitoes begone (they love me), our bird feeding operation returning full force, and the BASEBALL PLAYOFFS!

And in case you didn't hear and in the event that you care, THE PHILLIES ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! There is a lot of celebration going on in my neck of the woods since this is quite an unusual occurrence. Just to set the record straight, I am a long standing Yankees fan (Giants in football), but I always root for the Phillies unless they're playing the Yankees, which never happens because usually the Phillies never make it far enough to play the Yankees. As I'm sure EVERYONE knows, The New York Yankees have won more World Series than any other team with a whopping 26 and they've been in the World Series 39 times! Ahem. You must admit that's impressive. But hurray for the Phillies, my next favorite team!!! They took advantage of a tremendous collapse by the Mets (my condolences to the Mets fans) and now they're in! Go Phillies! To help explain better why I'm also a Phillies fan, read this post from earlier this year. Oh, and I wonder what the Phillie Phanatic is doing right now. I heard he fainted behind home base this past Thursday when the Phils went into a tie for first place.

Oh, and by the way, the Yankees are in the playoffs too--again. Let's see if either of my two teams make it through the first round and if by some miracle they end up facing each other, I know my heart will be torn!

Have a good week folks. Talk to you soon. Now off to homeschooling and housework wearing my red and white in celebration! (I guess tomorrow I better wear the old navy and white.)

9 comments:

Beverly said...

I feel the same way ... I mean - at heart I am a true Philly girl. But then again, during my two years in North Jersey, I always rooted for the Yankees. If they face each other -- what to do, what to do?

~~Deby said...

..didn't KNOW that you were into baseball...I am a Mariners Fan..my husband is a true blue Dodger Fan...neither of them do we atch all the time...but if you hafta pick a team those would be them
Deby

Maxine said...

Well, Bev, I hate to say this, but I really doubt seriously if we'll have that problem. I'm just glad they got there. It will probably be the Red Sox and Cubs. (You heard it first here.)
Hi Deby, hope you're doing okay. I'll be over to see you soon. I am very unfamiliar with the Mariners.

Beka said...

Well, can't say I'm really into baseball, but I'm happy for you!!!

kris said...

This is my favorite time of year too! I love the cooler nights, and crsip fall days - the beautiful leaves and the absence of most flies and mosquitos.
I like hockey and football more than baseball - especially after watching the MN Twins disintegrate at the end of the season. Now the MN Vikings aren't looking too good either. I might have a lot more time for scrapbooking and card making!

Theresa's Notes said...

I like baseball also. lol a Phillies fan vs an Astros fan. Don't hold it against me ;)

Maxine said...

I'll forgive you for that, Theresa. I even have friends who are Dodgers and Mets fans. Other than that, they are pretty decent folks, too.

If you don't take it too seriously, sports is a nice distraction from all of the heaviness that life can send our way, isn't it? Unfortunately, some folks do take it way too seriously. (Sports, I mean.) Let's just have fun with it for the next few weeks!

Tanya said...

I'm actually not a baseball fan at all --- which is why my procrastination is all the worse! (see my post if you haven't already.) --- but my husband was born a Yankees fan. In fact, he and my father-in-law are grooming Zach to be their next big pitcher. lol! CONGRATS on both your teams making the playoffs! :)

As a sidenote, I am mosquito candy. Something I learned while in the Carribean: eating bananas makes it worse. Apparently it releases an oil on your skin that attracts mosquitos. And that's my tip for the day! :)

Maxine said...

Thanks for the tip, Tanya, but I never eat bananas. Good thing, I guess. I can't beliee it could be any worse.

I'll be keeping my eye out for Zach's name in the coming years.