Monday, October 08, 2007

Young Fan


Don't you think that it's a shame that they put a Philadelphia Eagles shirt on my poor unsuspecting granddaughter? This was the doing of her father, who purchased the shirt at an Eagles training camp earlier this year. There's nothing I can do about it, since her Nanna is the only New York Giants fan in the family. Her PopPop, a devoted Eagles fan, of course would think it's great, but I think she'd look much better in a Giants navy and white shirt. Well, I must admit she did look cute on Saturday when we went out, and her pink bow on her head and her pink flowers on her shoes did make her look very girly.

My first week in October did not go quite as well as I'd hoped when I made my post on last Monday. The Phillies were eliminated, the Yankees lost their first two games (but came back to win one last night, thankfully), the weather has been hot and humid, and the mosquitoes are still abundant. But how important is all this anyway, right? We enjoy sports in our family, but no matter what the outcome, we were able to go to church yesterday and worship our God. This will never be affected by who wins any baseball or football game.

The blessing of knowing Christ and what He's done for us can never be taken from us by any of life's circumstances, be they a small matter such as sports or one of life's many trials. That's why I encourage all of us who know Him to not let anything hinder us from going to worship each Sunday. In the midst of all that life brings, we are surely going to hear something that will point us heavenward. The morning message yesterday was entitled "Up to Jerusalem", and I wrote a few of my thoughts on this on my other blog, if you'd like to go there to read it.

So, I intend to keep rejoicing in the Lord, no matter who wins or loses in sports and no matter what the weather is like. AND even while I'm still enduring my mosquito bites!

9 comments:

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, she's so cute in that shirt! It doesn't matter what it says, Nanna, only what's inside, right? ;)

The best laid plans... thankfully, Someone else has it all figured out. Fall will come - I promise! :)

Beka said...

Such an adorable picture!

And how we thank the Lord that "the blessing of knowing Christ and what He's done for us can never be taken from us by any of life's circumstances..."

Beverly said...

I don't think its a shame at all, Nanna!
But seriously, how thankful I am that His unchangeableness is something we can cling to in uncertain times!

Anonymous said...

I like it Lena...GO EAGLES!

chrisd said...

She is so cute but she definitely would be WAY cuter wearing navy and orange (the Chicago Bears colors)

sparrow's song said...

"We enjoy sports in our family, but no matter what the outcome, we were able to go to church yesterday and worship our God."

We watch golf here at the house. But we're reminded that they enjoyed sports in the OT too. For example, tennis- Daniel served in the King's court. *wink*

Is your granddaughter wearing only one shoe, or is that a sock?

inspiration comes...

Her Nanna's love
stands down the hall
with tiny fingers
pressed to the wall

A gift of joy
to gaze upon
with one sock off
and one sock on

Maxine said...

I'm glad everyone thinks she looks cute, because of course she does! Any team would be proud to have her as a fan!

And Sparrow, yes it IS one sock on and one off! I LOVE your poem--that is just exactly as it is--I'm getting pretty amazed at all the talent I'm seeing among my bloggy friends. I'm mostly definitely going to print this "inspiration" out and save it with the picture. Thanks so much, Sparrow!

sparrow's song said...

I thought so. She's too cute!

Please come visit my journal (not the blog) and see the post entitled, 'For Maxine'.

Vicki said...

What a sweet little fan.